Jan 23, 2008

Atheism and morality: do they conflict?

I have just about had it with all of the tired and wornout arguments Christians use against atheism on 'morals.' Let me tell you a little something about morality: Christianity is bankrupt when it comes to morals. As a credentialed Ethicist with a PhD equivalent in Religious Philosophy, I know this stuff practically inside and out. I myself went through some radical experiences in my past as a very devout minister and erudite student of the highly exalted Dr. William Lane Craig to a logically deductive infidel. I've got experience under my belt like you wouldn't believe, and being that the defunct argument of morality is a part of my expertise, I shall now demonstrate why it is faulty to ask the atheist on behalf of his part to provide a basic foundation for his moral descisions. In the meantime we will also show that Christianity is a delusion peddled by bigotry and intolerance. So, here it goes....

Time: First of all, morality in essence has no basic foundation. It doesn't need one. Throughout history people have had different conceptions of what is "right" and "wrong". Fundamental morals are just "common sense", you don't need to derive them from stone tablets. So just where is God in the midst of this? Hmm?

Majority: Simply put, the maority standard decides what is morally "right" and "wrong". Therefore, the atheist is justified in abiding by social laws. And atheists can do a pretty good job of this, unlike Muslims in the Middle East who steal all the time from each other! Look how good they are doing, they still live in the desert!

Relativity: Being that morality is common sense, we as social animals all have the potential within us to be loving, caring beings in an unloving careless universe. Functional sociologists see that a society functions together as a unit whole from seperate components, and so when we apply our natural animal instincts and our psychology, our relative moral sense becomes the backbone of societal and cultural norms. This has already been explained throughly by the likes of Herbert Spencer.

So there you go. These arguments now present a challenge to the Christian that wishes to call the atheist out on these arguments, and have now given atheists the upper hand.

2 comments:

John Deering said...

A few weeks ago I tried to use the “morality is from God” argument but they still wouldn’t let me slice my lamb in two on the altar or burn my witch out on the lawn. I was bummed out about it since I had to let them both go but later I found a child disobeying his mother in the parking lot, so she and I stoned him to death. That made me feel a lot better because being moral in the eyes of God makes you feel like a new and morally upright man.

The Law is the Law after all, and Jesus came to fulfill the law. He even said so. Those poor atheists don’t have a clue how fun it is to be moral…

Anonymous said...

nice sound bites :-)