Dec 24, 2007

Brain Spleen's Deconversion Testimony -- another one gets suckered in!

Guess what! One of my fans, Brain Spleen, sent in their own personal “anti-testimony”! Here it is in two emails.

The first one:

Hi, I just apostasized and wanted to thank you and John Locust for brainwashing me with all that misinformation at Debunking Crap, as well as in John’s great awesome book, Why I Lost My Mind. It has helped me see the world as a place where everyone is too mean to me, and I deserve better. It’s very freeing not being bound to moral responsibilities to others and all of that Biblical stupidity.

Thanks from a drone!

Brain Spleen

ps: looking forward to kissing up to you more in the future!


The second one:

I was born into a Christian home and never took being a Christian disciple seriously until just recently, after we adopted our new pet gecko. I’ve always been tormented by some godawful atheist arguments, such as, “If you were born in Saudi Arabia you’d be a Muslim.” Obviously something can’t be true if it is believed mainly or only in certain parts of the world, that makes no sense at all. As we all know, the only way Christianity could be true is if it was believed by a broad cross-section of the population interspersed geographically; for example, if 66% of all people living in New York were Christian, but all were born on the East Side, then clearly Christianity cannot be true and the Resurrection of Jesus never happened; but if they were born in various boroughs of greater New York, this would be a tremendous proof that Jesus actually rose from the dead.

I also wondered why is was that (in my objective judgment) some mature Christians didn’t have as much “fruit of the Spirit.” It seemed to me that all those mature Christians (and by that I mean, the ones who watch Charles Stanley on TV at least once a week) ought to have more of the fruit. Now, thanks to you, I know they’re all nuts!

I read a lot of apologetics literature but all of it was by Christian authors. I never found any Christian apologetic literature by non-Christians for some reason. Then one day people at my church were mean to me, and this clearly gave evidence that Jesus never rose from the dead in first century Palestine. As we all know, how people behave is what governs historical epistemology: For example, if a guy with a Confederate flag bumper sticker cuts you off in traffic, this proves that the South lost the Civil War.

Your book just blew me away! I couldn’t believe that all that pagan copycat stuff was never taught in church and never appeared in any serious scholarly literature. Other books I’ve read that helped were Losing Face and Brains by Dan Barker (the Christ-myther who says Jesus helped him find parking spaces) and Gary Lenaire’s An Ignorant Manifesto (the guy who proved) the Council of Nicaea decided the canon). These books made so much sense to me as a cerebral, intelligent person, as opposed to stuff like N. T. Wright which has so many big words in it.

It took me only a year to arrive at a concrete decision on these complex issues because I am so brilliant now, when I was so dumb as a Christian! I feel really great because I don’t have to think any more – I used to just read the Bible and follow all it said without question. Now all I have to do is read your book, Lenaire, Barker, etc and follow that uncritically instead! Woo hooo!


Thanks again I read your blog every day!

No comments: